Thursday, December 23, 2010

When life breaks your leg...Make Marshmallows!

I've been a little obsessed lately...obsessed with hot chocolate and homemade marshmallows.  It's just that kind of season, and there's a cafe that I love that has the best of both of those.  The Husband and I have been enjoying cocoa dates quite often lately.  Since the marshmallows are my favorite part I thought that I should try my hand at making them.  It can't be that hard right?

This seemed like the perfect time too, I recently injured my leg so bad that I have to be off of it for a while. (Yes, learning new pole tricks can be hazardous!) Even though cooking technically requires standing, most of this I was able to do while sitting at the kitchen table.  And nothing makes you feel better more than a homemade sweet treat that makes you feel like your 8 years old again!

I have a little feeling of guilt that I actually used corn syrup, because I am sure that you can do it without. But when I went to my pantry, I saw a bottle of it in there from a pecan pie from a few Thanksgivings ago. I thought I might as well use it up.  But rest assure, I will not be using corn syrup for the next batch!  I am certain that you can make this recipe just as good without it.  But believe me these are good!! The Husband and I fully enjoyed our sugar high after eating a couple of them last night! Here's the recipe I used.  I got it from an old issue of Bon Appetite.




  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract




  • 1/2 cup potato starch*




  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar                                                                                                                                                                                    




  • nonstick vegetable oil spray




  • 1 cup cold water, divided




  • 3 1/4-ounce envelopes unflavored gelatin




  • 2 cups sugar




  • 2/3 cup light corn syrup




  • 1/4 teaspoonLine 13x9x2-inch metal baking pan with foil.
    Coat foil lightly with nonstick spray. Pour 1/2 cup cold water into bowl of heavy-duty mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Sprinkle gelatin over water. Let stand until gelatin softens and absorbs water, at least 15 minutes.
    Combine 2 cups sugar, corn syrup, salt, and remaining 1/2 cup cold water in heavy medium saucepan. Stir over mediumlow heat until sugar dissolves, brushing down sides of pan with wet pastry brush. Attach candy thermometer to side of pan. Increase heat and bring syrup to boil. Boil, without stirring, until syrup reaches 240°F, about 8 minutes.
    With mixer running at low speed, slowly pour hot syrup into gelatin mixture in thin stream down side of bowl (avoid pouring syrup onto whisk, as it may splash). Gradually increase speed to high and beat until mixture is very thick and stiff, about 15 minutes. Add vanilla and beat to blend, about 30 seconds longer.
    Scrape marshmallow mixture into prepared pan. Smooth top with wet spatula. Let stand uncovered at room temperature until firm, about 4 hours.
    Stir potato starch and powdered sugar in small bowl to blend. Sift generous dusting of starch-sugar mixture onto work surface, forming rectangle slightly larger than 13x9 inches. Turn marshmallow slab out onto starch-sugar mixture; peel off foil. Sift more starch-sugar mixture over marshmallow slab. Coat large sharp knife (or cookie cutters) with nonstick spray. Cut marshmallows into squares or other shapes. Toss each in remaining starch-sugar mixture to coat. Transfer marshmallows to rack, shaking off excess mixture.




  • No comments:

    Post a Comment