Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Simple Ginger Cauliflower Soup

Ever since I started cooking, and cooking well, I have had this battle...

Sometimes I really want to treat myself to a nice meal out.  I think of all of my favorite restaurants, and dream of what I would get.  I dream of duck breasts, oysters, bouillabaisse, I could go on and on...  I love eating, and I am a very adventurous eater.  But, I also am a professional burlesque dancer.  Which means that I am on a pretty strict budget.  The more I learn about food, means the more expensive the restaurant that I actually want to go is.  I can't just go to your average good restaurant anymore.  Because no matter how decent it is, I will no doubt mention how I could have made it better. And The Husband will always agree with me.  It has to be spectacular for me to choose someone else's cooking over mine.

On one hand, it's fantastic that I enjoy cooking enough to learn to cook as well as I have, and I've done it pretty much on my own, by reading cookbooks like most people read novels. But on the other hand, it forces me into the kitchen more than ever. Which I love!  If I could stay in my kitchen all day everyday, I would...in a heartbeat.

But for example, today...I'm exhausted from working all night last night.  I wanted a day where I could do nothing. So, I decide I'm going to do my errands, and treat myself to lunch at one of my favorite lunch spots.  I get to the door, think of what I really want, and realize what I always realize....I could make it myself, and I'll probably like mine every bit as much, and if I make it it's cheaper.  So I turn around, go to the market and get a few things, and cook.  I always feel better.  Being in my kitchen is more relaxing to me than doing nothing.  It's like meditation.  Delicious Meditation.

This is what I came up with today...



Ginger Cauliflower Soup

2 heads of cauliflower chopped
3 cups Chicken Stock-homemade
2 cups water
2 small onions
1 shallot
3 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons chopped ginger
1 teaspoon of the ginger juice: I run it over a bumpy surface to get liquid...(I don't know what this is called!)
1/2 Cup Romano Cheese
Salt
Pepper

In a large soup pan, sauté onions, shallot, garlic and ginger until onions soften a little.  About 3 minutes.  Then add the cauliflower.  Saute for another 4 or 5 minutes.  Add Stock, water, and about 1 1/2 tablespoons of Kosher salt.  Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook covered until the cauliflower is very soft.  Using an immersion blender, (you could also use a food processor or regular blender) bring the soup to a smooth liquid.  Add cheese, and blend once more.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Serve!

You'll get about 4 or 5 servings out of it.  I like to put the rest in a mason jar, and save it for future lunches or quick dinners.

No comments:

Post a Comment